Power Plant & Pods Phase Percentage Completion: 10%
Project Start: Q4 2019
Anticipated Completion: Q4 2022
• Installation of foundation piles and pile caps caps for the new utility pods (small buildings) throughout the site
o The piles will form the foundation of the new utility pods.
o The utility pods will house critical electrical and mechanical equipment above the flood elevation to better protect building services during a flood event.
• Installation of underground retention tanks by building 19.
o The underground retention tanks will capture excess stormwater runoff to help prevent flooding during periods of heavy rainfall.
• Continued excavation for and installation of new underground utility lines throughout the site
o The new electrical, heating, and plumbing lines will be installed throughout the site and will connect to the new utility buildings to service all of NYCHA Red Hook
• Excavation for and instillation of new underground electrical, heating, and plumbing lines between buildings.
o This work will involve reconfiguring the building exits, however, access to all buildings will remain open and ADA-accessible at all times.
o Buildings 1E, 2E, 3E, 4E, and 15 through 18 will be the first buildings affected by this work.
o Residents will be notified in advance via flyers and phone calls once a start date is established.
o These plans have been shared with property management, resident association presidents, and the FDNY.
• NYCHA R&R will be hosting a virtual construction update meeting in the coming weeks. We will provide more information later this week.
• A gas line was ruptured by building 13 resulting in the temporary interruption of hot water and gas service at several buildings. Hot water service has since been restored.
o NYCHA is working to safely and quickly restore cooking gas service. Hot plates have been delivered to all affected apartments in buildings 11 and 13.
o The attached gas outage and meal assistance flyers will be posted door to door on October 1st, 2020.