On Saturday May 26, 1-9pm, PortSide invites Red Hook NYCHA residents to experiences for kids and adults on our historic ship, the tanker Mary A. Whalen. We want you to have a great day with us, and come back for more! We want to hear what programs you want us to provide in the future. We have a business plan underway. Come over, hang out, share ideas! Experiences that day include:
- TankerTours (tours inside and around the ship)
- TankerTime (more info below)
- a book reading for children
- a talk about African American Maritime Heritage
- dance performance by youth from Cora Dance
- Peter Piper the Balloon Meister makes balloon toys for kids and adults
- ArtTable and maritime toys for tots
- occasional seagull feeding sessions
- job info with reps from NYC Ferry and our partners District Council 9 (the painters union)
- more things in the works!
During the TankerTours, the main deck will be open for TankerTime for people to picnic, relax, read books from our maritime library, children can play with the maritime toys for tots and the ArtTable drawing supplies.
After the TankerTours, TankerTime will continue for people to picnic (BYOB and food), relax, read books from our maritime library, play with the maritime toys for tots, use coloring books at the ArtTable. Come socialize or just chill out in a hammock and enjoy the sunset.
NOTE: one Fleet Week Navy destroyer will be open to the public at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal during the day. Come see two ships!
Part of the “MARY Month of May” festival in honor of the 80th birthday or our ship MARY A. WHALEN.