Added Value Farms is a youth-centered urban farming and food justice nonprofit in Red Hook, Brooklyn. We create opportunities for teens to expand their knowledge base, develop their leadership skills, and positively engage with each other, their community, and the environment. We operate two urban farms sites, and our programs include a teen farm apprenticeship, a weekly farm stand, a CSA, and a school workshop program. We strive to transform vacant lands into vibrant urban farms, improve access to healthy, affordable produce, and nurture a new generation of green leaders.
The Farm Manager is responsible for all crop production and farm maintenance at the 2.75 acre Red Hook Community Farm, located in Red Hook, Brooklyn. The farm supplies our 70+ member CSA as well as our weekly farm stand. Working closely with Added Value’s education staff, the Farm Manager supports the training and ongoing mentorship of 7-25 high-school aged youth throughout the growing season. The position supports education and outreach work through ongoing school visits, regular volunteer hours, and special events.
● Manage farm, greenhouse, storage areas;
● Develop and implement crop plan including seeding/planting/harvesting schedules with
youth involved in all aspects of production;
● Employ organic pest management strategies as needed on the farm;
● Set up and maintain various irrigation systems;
● Support training and mentorship of Added Value youth farmers;
● Supervise ad hoc volunteer groups as well as weekly drop-in volunteer hours;
● Liaison and manage regular communication with CSA organizing committee;
● Develop relationships, manage orders, and handle deliveries for local restaurant buyers;
● Support planning, harvesting, and marketing activities for weekly youth-led farm stand;
● Keep annual budget, records, inventory, and harvest tallies;
● Collaborate on special events on the farm such as fundraisers and community festivals;
● Participate in staff meetings, social media outreach, grant writing, and strategic planning
for the organization as a whole.
● 3-4 years in intensive, small farm, high-yield vegetable production;
● Expertise in organic vegetable growing, as well as compost management techniques;
● Demonstrated experience working with youth;
● Commitment to social justice;
● Ability to work collaboratively with those from various racial, ethnic, religious, and
● Experience in the safe operation and general maintenance of farm tools and machinery;
● Seed propagation, succession planting, and season extension experience;
● Experience developing and executing an annual crop plan and maintaining farm records;
● Organized, detail-oriented – sets strong example for volunteers and youth;
● Comfortable using Microsoft suite and Google Drive;
● Able to work Tuesday-Saturday schedule through the growing season;
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
● Flexible, entrepreneurial with an ability to succeed with modest infrastructure;
● Able to lift up to 50 pounds;
● Must have a valid Driver’s License and be able to drive a cargo van in New York City.
● Exposure to anti-oppression trainings and inquiry-based education;
● Experience in the operation of farm stands or markets;
● Knowledge of chicken and bee care;
● Social media savvy, particulary Instagram and Facebook;
● Familiar with Red Hook community as well as NYC urban agriculture community;
● Carpentry and other building skills.
Email resume, cover letter, and two references in a single pdf to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Farm Manager Position” in the subject line. No calls please.
Interviews will be scheduled as qualified applications are received. Position open until filled.
Women and POC encouraged to apply.